Getting Rid Of Mold



Tips for Getting Rid of Mold


Some homeowners think that any task that involves getting rid of mold must be done by a professional. This is not the case. While toxic mold should certainly be removed by professionals, the fact is that most of the mold found in homes is not of this type.



Once it has been determined that mold in your home is NOT dangerous, you can go about the task of getting rid of mold yourself. Keep in mind that it may take calling in a mold inspector to be sure that the mold in your home is not toxic. While there will be some cost involved in doing that, it is worth it for two reasons.

The first reason is that if you try to remove dangerous mold yourself, you put your family and yourself in danger. Toxic mold can be deadly. It should always be removed by professionals.

The other reason that hiring a mold inspector is worth the money is because it is a whole lot less expensive than paying someone to remove mold that is NOT toxic. Some homeowners skip the step of verifying that the mold is toxic. Instead, they just hire someone to remove it and spend thousands of dollars that they did not have to spend.

Here are some tips for getting rid of mold once it has been determined that the mold is not toxic.

Depending on the amount of mold you are dealing with, you will need to wear rubber gloves, boots and an N-95 mask. The gloves and mask should be worn no matter how much mold you are trying to remove. The boots, of course, would only be necessary if dealing with a larger amount of mold.



Do NOT start the process of getting rid of mold until you are wearing the mask and gloves. Remember that even non-toxic mold can cause allergic reactions. You want to do all you can to prevent the mold from coming in contact with your skin and you certainly do not want to breathe it in.

Once you have your protective gear, you are ready to get started. Mix one cup of bleach in one gallon of water.  Be sure to have the windows open so that there is adequate ventilation anytime you are working with bleach.

Hard Smooth Surfaces

Using the bleach and water mixture, scrub any of the affected surfaces with a sturdy cloth. Once all mold has been removed. Let the area dry completely.

Rough Hard Surfaces

If a rough or uneven surface is covered in mold, you should use the bleach and water mixture and also incorporate the use of a brush in order to get into all of the cracks and crevices where mold could be hiding.  Again, once the surface is clean, you will need to allow it to dry completely.

Soft Surfaces

When mold is on soft surfaces, such as furniture and clothes, one option is to wash the item in very hot water.  If that does not work or is not possible, you will have two options. The first is to hire a professional. This is often necessary when dealing with furniture, which can be difficult to clean. If you choose to hire someone, you need to find someone who is experienced in the removal of mold, NOT just with cleaning furniture.

The other option is to just get rid of the item. It is better to do that than to risk the health of your family by allowing mold to remain in your home.

Getting rid of mold is not that difficult. Once you know the mold is not toxic, it is just a matter of scrubbing the area and allowing it to dry. Just be sure to wear the recommended protective gear to prevent any possible allergic reaction.